Professional Instructor in Driver Education (P.R.I.D.E.) Program
Pre-course forms for confirmed participants:
The Professional Instructor in Driver Education (P.R.I.D.E.) Program is a joint venture of the Ontario Motor Coach Association (OMCA), Ontario Public Transit Association (OPTA) and Ontario School Bus Association (OSBA). This one-of-a-kind program teaches fleet driver instructors how to properly train new and seasoned drivers. If a passing grade is achieved, a certificate is issued, thus providing one of the prerequisites for "Signing Authority" under the Ontario Ministry of Transportation's "Driver Certification Program".
What You Will Receive:
- A dual learning environment that is 50% in-classroom and 50% on-road in a vehicle.
- Certification for "Signing Authority" with the Ontario Ministry of Transportation in order to upgrade and renew drivers' licenses on your own premises (if passing grade achieved and all other MTO requirements are met).
- Indispensable techniques for classroom instruction including the effective use of audio visual equipment, non-lecture format and more!
- Superior facilitation skills including climate setting, guided questioning, being an active listener, and giving positive feedback both in the classroom and on-board the vehicle.
- Valuable in-vehicle information on "HOW" to properly teach pre-trip inspections, defensive driving, right and left turns, night driving and more.
- Effective techniques for dealing appropriately with the concerns and sentiments of new and seasoned trainees alike.
- One-on-one interaction with master instructors and many opportunities to exchange information among participants.
2017 Program Dates
- January 15-20
- January 22-27
- March 12-17 (March break)
- April 2-7
- May 7-12
- July 9-14
- August 13-18
- October 15-20
All participants will take home...
- Detailed pre-course material.
- A comprehensive reference manual.
- A handy booklet with speciﬁc on-road training techniques. Guidelines for classroom instruction.
- Certiﬁcate upon successful program completion.
- USB ﬂash drive for each participant to save presentations and information developed/received during the program.
- A complimentary mini whiteboard for on-road training.
- A laminated trainer’s “feedback” card.
Who Should Attend?
Anyone currently employed by a company in driver instruction on large vehicles and/or with vehicle fleets, as well as instructors who may be involved with driver instruction in the future. One of the objectives of this program is to encourage consistent instructional methods among all driver trainers regardless of the organization in which they work. All participants taking part in the Professional Instructor in Driver Education (P.R.I.D.E.) Program are required to hold a valid passenger carrying license (e.g. B,C,E,F for Ontario).
Designed specifically by and for bus driver trainers, this intensive five-day program uses every moment of time! There will be hands-on simulations and lots of practice with real-life situations both in the classroom and on-road, on-board a bus. It is a highly participative and supportive approach within the adult learning environment, suitable for all fleets including non-bus related.
Daily ending times are approximate. Participant travel arrangements are required to coincide appropriately with Sunday and Friday course start/end times.
- Sunday - 12:00 noon to 6:00 pm
- Monday to Thursday (inclusive) - 8:00 am – 9:00 pm
- Friday - 8:00 am – 1:00 pm
The P.R.I.D.E. Program would like to take this opportunity to recognize and thank the donors of all vehicles being used during the program. The participant’s experience and enjoyment is maximized because of the assistance and goodwill of these ﬁne organizations.
Program fees include a Sunday welcome lunch, tuition, all course materials and support services for the duration of the program. Daily buffet breakfast and lunch included in nightly accommodation costs for participants staying in the hotel. The cost of accommodation, dinner, incidentals and travel are not included in the program registration fee.
NOTE: Hotel accommodation is recommended for all participants regardless of proximity to program location. Hotel reservations are made by the P.R.I.D.E. Program on behalf of all participants, but the cost of accommodation is not included in the program registration fee.
- $2595 + HST - Members of OMCA, OPTA, OSBA, ISBOA
- $3195 + HST - Non-members
- Registration is on a ﬁrst-come, ﬁrst-served basis.
- Maximum of 12 participants per program.
- Complete one registration form for each participant attending and scan/email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 416.695.9977. Indicate “Name TBA” if participant name is not known at time of registration.
- Full registration payment is required at time of registration form submission, by credit card number, scan/email or faxed copy of a cheque, or Purchase Order # (cheque must be received within two weeks of P.O.# and registration form submission). If payment is not received, registration space may be forfeited. Payments will not be processed until the program is fully booked. A receipt for payment will be emailed when registration fee is processed.
- Make cheques payable and mail to: Ontario Motor Coach Association, 320 North Queen Street, Suite 210, Toronto, ON, M9C 5K4.
The program is conducted by experienced facilitators. Their highly professional approach reflects in-depth research based on behaviour modelling and developmental learning, and incorporates an effective and proven instructional methodology and adult learning principles. The current Master Trainer Team includes:
- Jillian Graves
- Maria Holmes
- Maureen Hurren
- Elaine McNaughton
- Jim Porteous
- Graham Walker
Signing Authority / Recognized Authority
This program has been approved by the Ministry of Transportation as an ofﬁcial prerequisite to becoming a “Signing Authority” in the province of Ontario. Information regarding “Signing Authority” and the MTO Driver Certiﬁcation Program (DCP) is provided by the Ministry of Transportation during each program. Participants wishing to apply for “Signing Authority” must hold a valid Ontario driver’s licence for the previous three years in the class of vehicles for which they will be training. Organizations wishing to obtain a “Recognized Authority” company designation must own and operate a minimum of 25 commercial vehicles in the licence class in which the training is to be offered along with several other criteria. For further information about “Signing Authority” and “Recognized Authority”, please contact the MTO Driver Certiﬁcation Program (DCP) ofﬁce at 416-235-4323 or driver.certiﬁcation.email@example.com
In the event that a registrant is unable to attend, cancellations will be accepted in writing without penalty up to 30 days prior to program commencement. After that date, no refunds or transfers will be permitted, although an alternate name may be submitted for the same program. The Professional Instructor in Driver Education (P.R.I.D.E.) Program reserves the right to cancel or change a program should insufﬁcient enrollment or other factors warrant such action, in which case all payments will be refunded.
Admiral Inn Hotel, 3500 Billings Ct, Burlington, ON L7N 3N6 - http://www.admiralinn.com/burlington/
Visit the P.R.I.D.E. Program's official Facebook page. Keep in touch with those from the program, share ideas and find out what's happening in training in the bus industry today!